Old 01-07-2003, 07:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default New Pond Kills Fish

IMO.... after so many others. ;o) We need to know the KH. You mention
putting acid in and ammonia and I'm not sure how soon you put the goldies
in after doing that? Ammonia changes to nitrites to nitrates, what is using
up the nitrates? Do you have a nirIte testor?

I've kept goldfish in water as high as 9.0 without fatalities, of course
adjustments were made in the QT so they could handle the higher pH. The one
goldie actually had to put up with me mess around trying to lower the pH
w/acid and adding buffer to maintain the KH and didn't succumb and this was
a fantail oranda, usually more sensitive to such things. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:25:39 GMT, h (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:05:13 -0500, in a place far, far away, "~
Windsong ~" made the phosphor on my

Fighting the turbulence and the suction from the pump is probably doing them
in. They die of exhaustion.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

I guess I should just wait until I complete the big pond before I put
in any fish. I don't want to shut down or downsize the pumps, because
it's a nice flow sonically, and it's what I plan once the full pond
goes in (which will be about a one-hour turnover).