Old 01-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Druss

Default pond life worth keeping?

"willsniffer" wrote in message
beginning to wish I hadn't asked!!! a vision of prime minister's questions
should the green party take power...thanks for an entertaining split
decision

There is a definite split, if you want a pond with goldfish, carp, or Koi
call them what you will then you'll probably find that the fish themselves
will eat pretty much everything else that would otherwise live in the pond
anyway, thus the egg probably won't get to grow very much. If on the other
hand you like wildlife, and want more of it in your pond then fish are the
last thing you want, unless they are the small native fish that might exist
in a small garden pond, e.g. sticklebacks.

It always amazes me how sterile and boring Koi ponds are, yes there are some
big fish in there, but that's it. I see so many of this type of pond and
often wonder at the attraction. They are usually massively overstocked, the
fish have to be pampered, the pond treated, and food thrown in. Seems like
such hard work compared to a nice simple naturally regulating wild pond,
like all those you find in nature !!!

Each to his own though.
Duncan