Old 01-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Kay Easton

Default Gathering worms

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

Wasn't it you who said you hadn't found any worms on your new allotment?

Not me....I only have a garden....
But the worms are for my compost heap...

Right - you need tiger worms (brandlings) not the common earthworm.
Best is to find a friend with a compost heap and take a handful from
them. But if you build your compost heap and let it be open to the earth
below, or add a layer of garden soil to it, there will be worm cocoons
and the odd worm in the soil, and the population will boom once the food
supply is there. See E's earthworm page below.

If the conditions aren't right, you won't benefit by adding worms. But
if you can improve the soil by adding a lot of humus, the worms will
arrive.

The soil is good enough for plants and such....
And when I go digging I can find them without too much hassle...

But I really don't want to go round digging up my garden just for worms...
And the idea of going to a tackle shop and buying them just seems like a
waste if I can get them from my garden for free....

Yes, you can - just build the compost heap and wait a month!

Obviously if it comes to it I'll have to buy them......I just don't want
to!

No need to - it's a waste of money.

--
Kay Easton