Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Quental, Antonio

Default [IBC] Pre-Bonsai Soil

I have a question on bonsai soil. I understand the concepts of the soil
you would use in a "bonsai pot", good drainage etc. I buy my bonsai
soil pre-made, it's cheap when you're only using it in small bonsai
pots.

What do you use on your pre-bonsai? Large containers, 5 gallons or
more. Five gallons of pre-mixed bonsai soil is expensive. I was using
potting soil, but I lost a lot of trees this winter. We had a VERY cold
winter in Connecticut. A lot of other things other than the potting
soil may have contributed to the death of my plants in training. What I
started using this spring, after the harsh winter is a 50/50 mix of
turface mvp and pine bark mulch, do you think that's fine for LARGE
training pots?

Antonio Quental

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++