Old 01-07-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

Default Coconut Fiber...

I've found the same thing. When I have used the coir I've mixed it with humus
(finished compost) and some lava or granite sand.

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:46:07 GMT, "V_coerulea" wrote:

This is not my experience. I've found that dried out coir rewets easily,
exceptionally easily when compared to peat or peat products. It makes an
excellent component for many mixes. It dries out faster than peat, which is
good in many cases, but it also allows for better air circulation around the
roots, depending on the other components of your mix.

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Dewitt contains these words:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:14:56 GMT, "Mike Stevenson"
wrote:

This is pretty wild, I would like to hear some opinions about this.

recently got something from a site I buy food and supplies for my frogs
called Repta-bedding (or something to that effect). It is sopposed to

be
100% pure coconut husk fibers. It comes in a small 2lb brick that when
soaked well in warm water for about an hour becomes this mass of

material
that can easily fill up your average kitchen sink.

(snip)
I use coconut husk chips for potting orchids and it's necessary to
soak and rinse the chips several times to get rid of salt. Since
your coco peat was intended for bedding material, it may not have been
rinsed well. I'd suggest doing so and checking the rinse water with a
TDS meter if possible.

It's called coir. When the soaked expanded brick of material dries out
in use, it can be very difficult to re-wet again.In the UK, suppliers
have been trying to market coir composts for some time but afaik, most
gardeners find it unsatisfactory for seed sowing.

Janet.