Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default What to do about voracious chipmunks?

Georgia said:

Just curious if anyone has an effective remedy for keeping chippers
from digging up perennials? I recently planted a bed of about 50-60
plants and the stupid chipmunks are already destroying it! I have been
using a Havahart trap and have caught and re-released (far away) about
25 so far. They're probably just coming right back...

I trapped 9 (and found two dead ones) one summer. That was all it took
to eliminate them from my yard. (They were tunnelling under mature
peonies and some walkways, in a more-than-nuisance way.]

Transported them across a river. They didn't come back.

Habitat niche was refilled by red squirrels moving back in. (These vanished
when the chipmunks first moved in.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)