Old 01-07-2003, 02:08 PM
adng

Default MOSQUITOES!!!

The propane powered devices apparently do not work for us here in
Austin. The dominant mosquito here is the Asian Tiger, a very small
mosquito with white stripes on the legs. They are not attracted to
carbon dioxide (I think) which is what I believe the propane device
keys on. The larger, native coastal mosquitos are attracted to this
and therefore it works well there, just not here. Last I heard they
were trying to figure out how to attract the Asian Tigers, it just
isn't there yet.

I don't know that we are particularly "known" for mosquitos, but they
can be very bad here. Little *******s is a pretty good descriptor.

Be careful about just going out the way I do, my wife is ready to
throttle me when I come in from yard work covered in mosquito bites
(the bites don't bother me too much, 30 minutes and the bite is gone
for me- and I keep forgetting the DEET). West Nile Virus is around
and can be a serious problem if you get it.

andyd

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:00:42 GMT, Minga
wrote:

I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water anywhere
that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ? Does it
work? Are they worth 200 bucks? I've seen then for 350 too! Anyone know
a place to rent one for a week?

Or should I stick with buying the yard-spray stuff? (i'm sure its OOOH
so good for the water/soil/my dog).

Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.

-Minga