Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Solar Powered Garden Lights. Any Good?

(AuralFeast) expounded:
I'm thinking of adding a few lights to my backyard garden - the little ones
that stick into the soil and stand a foot or so above the ground. I'm
interested in the solar powered version (laziness factor) - are any of these
lights any good? Are they dependable? How much light do they throw in
comparison to their hard-wired bretheren? Any brands better than others?

I bought one on sale. It was dead out of the box. I called the
manufacturer and they sent me two to replace the bad one. I placed them
on both sides of steps in the garden. The lights are a joke. They are
just for looks. They have a single low power led that, through the use
of a clever lens, looks like a small flame. It is visible but throws no
usable light. It's utility is in marking the stairs, not lighting them.
Since they are only about 15" high, you would think they would do more
good but they don't. They do last all night when it isn't snowy. Snow
covers up the solar cells and they don't work at all.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html