Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
B.Server

Default Fireplace Ashes Affect Soil?

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 02:13:18 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

"dt" wrote in message
Burning's a waste; if you can't compost it, build a brushpile. Birds and
small critters will love it.

Nice to say if you live in the city. Living in the country and also being a
member of the volunteer fire department, I can tell you that those
brushpiles become a fire hazard around this time of year. I leave a few and
burn the rest -- no choice!

I would hazzard a guess that very few of them spontaneously combust.
Just guessing, but I'd bet a whole lot more of them cause problems
when some moron tries to burn his brush on a breezy, dry day in
mid-summer than from roving brushfires. Left alone, they are less of
a problem.