Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Bart Thomas

Default [IBC] Pre-Bonsai Soil

----- Original Message -----

I have a question on bonsai soil. I understand the concepts of the soil
you would use in a "bonsai pot", good drainage etc. I buy my bonsai
soil pre-made, it's cheap when you're only using it in small bonsai
pots.

What do you use on your pre-bonsai? Large containers, 5 gallons or
more. Five gallons of pre-mixed bonsai soil is expensive. I was using
potting soil, but I lost a lot of trees this winter. We had a VERY cold
winter in Connecticut. A lot of other things other than the potting
soil may have contributed to the death of my plants in training. What I
started using this spring, after the harsh winter is a 50/50 mix of
turface mvp and pine bark mulch, do you think that's fine for LARGE
training pots?

First, I presume you are talking about winter hardy trees. Those big
containers get real awkward indoors!

I would concentrate on drainage for your mix. There's no need for
(relatively) expensive bonsai soil for the whole pot. After all, you're NOT
trying to grow deep roots,

My inclination would be to use the turface mix (probably with less bark,
unless it was "chunky") for only the top 6 inches or so of the pot. Under
that you can use gravel, packing peanuts (aka "ghost tu*ds), etc. Anything
to support the actual growing part of the soil will be fine AS LONG AS IT IS
FREE DRAINING!.

Having said that, I confess that the azaleas I rescued (bare root) this
spring are in potting soil to help promote new root growth. Haven't decided
whether I'll disturb them in the fall. Probably will.

Regards.

Bart

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++