Old 06-03-2003, 05:39 PM
zxcvbob

Default Weed control

Randy Price wrote:

I used composted horse manure in my vegetable garden last year. By the
end of the season bermuda grass had pretty much taken over. I
rototilled the whole thing but am seeing patches of grass comming up
again. I am planning on planting tomato plants in the next couple weeks
(AZ), is there anything I can do to control the grass?

Is it coastal bermuda, or common bermuda? Here's why it makes a
difference: coastal bermuda does not set viable seeds, and common bermuda
does. So if the weed grass is coastal, you don't have to worry about more
seeds germinating -- the manure was just contaminated with grass stollens.
If you don't know, assume it is common bermuda.

I would use Round Up to get it under control, then dig it out by hand
whenever I saw a piece of if sprouting back.

The only sure way to get rid of bermuda grass is to move. ;-)

Be glad that it is not johnson grass.

Good luck,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/