Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Tim

Default Woodlice and now also earwigs

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:11:33 +0100, More to Wiggle
wrote:

"Janice" wrote in message
You can buy a powder (chemical) that will deter them from coming into
your
house. I use it sparingly across the doorway where they seem to

congregate
in my kitchen.

I'll second that. They are the bane of my life and the way I stop them
getting in the house is to scatter a well known brand of ant powder along
the external doorsteps and under the carpet inside the doors. This seems
keep them at bay. As for them not doing any damage, I have to strongly
disagree.

The little &*%$*s are lethal around soft fruit. Pick up what looks like
ripe strawberry and you get a handful of them eating through the back of
it.
My mange tout were eaten wherever they leant against the fence and they
will
basically eat any such foodstuffs if they are in contact with a surface.
They also get all over my rabbit hutch and I'm not sure that they don't
have
something to do with the gradual deterioration of the wood there. As for
bulbs, based on the fact that they left my onions and shallots alone, I
suspect they don't go for bulbs either.

Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

Haven't quite got the hang of cause and effect yet?
nibbled, damaged fruit = woodlice, not woodlice = nibbled, damaged fruit.
Tim.