Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Kyle Boatright

Default new homeowner--grass question

Fertilizer makes things grow. Weeds and grass.

You need to determine if you have crabgrass or leafy weeds. There is a
difference.

If you have broadleaf weeds, you can use a selective broadleaf weed killer
to deal with the weeds. If you have crabgrass, there are selective
herbicides (MSMA comes to mind) that (applied properly) will kill crabgrass
without killing your other grass.

KB

"Good Golly" wrote in message
news
Hi--hope someone here can help me.
I am a new homeowner and really like taking care of the lawn and
flower beds. The past two times I have mowed, there is more and more
large leafy crabgrass. In the spring, I did fertilize. Is there
anything at this time, (south jersey area) that I can do to cut
down on this. There appears to be more leafy stuff than grass. Is this
something I have to wait to do?
Thanks for any suggestions--also--what exactly should the fertilizer have
done?