Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Alan Gould

Default Bunching onions

In article , Jonathan Ward
writes
Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions. What are
they? None of my reference books mention them.

Bunching onions are (or were) maincrop bulbing onions, preferably of a
white skinned variety, picked while the bulb is still small, but while
the tops are still fresh and green. The whole of the plant other than
the root can be used in the kitchen at that stage - they are especially
good thin sliced into salads. The are (or used to be), tied into bunches
of six or ten for sale, hence their name. We used to grow them from very
early planted sets, and they came just nicely to fill the +- May onion
gap when last year's maincrop in store are showing shoots, but this
year's crop are not ready to harvest as mature bulbs.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.