Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default How long do carp live?

And I learned - to my abject dismay - that the average fish destined for the
pet market lives only 2 weeks!

Our well fed, pampered koi can live very long indeed. Suggestion, John B?
just buy more food! Maybe you can tame them enough to feed from your hand,
and then they'll be pets and you won't mind haveing them around . . .

Lee

"John Rutz" wrote in message

JohnB wrote:
Dunno if I got the right newsgroup here but it's the only 'pond' one I
could find. I have a farm pond, around 10 years ago my father stocked
several white amur and israeli carp for weed control. We really didn't
have a bad weed problem in the first place, my Pop succumbed to slick
talking 'fish' saleman. The carp eat the fishfood I put out for my
bream/sunfish. How many more years can I expect these fish to live? Any
input appreciated...
JohnB

well I will try to answer Koi which are a carp have been known to
live ~200 yrs in japan but the average I believe with good care is
around 60-70 in your pond probably 20 or so I would guess

someone correct me if Im wrong here
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com