Old 01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
More to Wiggle

Default Woodlice and now also earwigs

As I posted, you are blaming the people hanging around the scene
for the crime, rather than the culprit (who has scarpered). They
have very soft mouth parts and cannot eat anything that isn't
already half mushy. Perhaps an overripe strawberry, but not much
more than that.

What is happening will be that the fruit etc. are being damaged
by something else (probably abrasion in your case, but also slugs
and birds) and then the woodlice enter the hole and eat at the
damaged surfaces. Similarly, they may eat rotten wood, but most
definitely can't attack intact wood. If you have a damaged bulb,
you will find them there, too.

| Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

More than woodlice, but not much more.

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands. I'm not squeamish but this
one does get me, esp when there are so many that you can hear them moving
too!!

Vicky