Old 01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default Beginner garden, Zone 8a, need tips

(Not Much) writes:

Another issue: being by myself, I always have an issue with food
going bad because i can't use it in time. This is especially true
with veggies. Any tips on harvesting or storing so i won't be
wasting too much?

You basically have three choices for long-term storage: freezing,
canning, or drying (and some root crops like potatoes can just be kept
in the basement for a while). Vegetables vary in how well each method
works. A good book for explaining all the methods, and telling you
which ones work best for each vegetable, is _Stocking Up_ from Rodale
Press.

As far as frugality goes, drying is probably the cheapest. You can
get a dehydrator for $20 or less (or just use your oven), and then all
you need are some jars or tins to put the dried food in and a dark
place to keep them. Canning would be the next cheapest; you need a
pressure canner, jars, lids, and some know-how. Freezing is the most
expensive, since you'll need a freezer and freezer bags or containers,
but you may be able to pick up a cheap freezer at an auction or estate
sale.

And, can you staggar plant veggies in a way such that you are
always harvesting something?

Definitely. I've been picking turnips, lettuce (several kinds), swiss
chard, and peas for over a month now. It got too hot and dry for
radishes, and the peas will probably be done for in a couple weeks,
but beans and other things will be coming on by then, and I'll have
peas again in the fall. There aren't many individual varieties that
will bear all season, but you can definitely be picking something
every day all season. In fact, since some plants take longer to
mature than others, and different plants like different weather, it
mostly just works out that way.

Someone point me in the right direction. So far, i've learned about
preparing raised beds and some pointers on square foot gardening and
soil prep, but I'm still lost on what to plant, when to plant, and
when to harvest.

Raised beds might not be the most 'frugal' way to go, but I'll let
others with experience at that chime in here. If you have to purchase
soil and lumber or other edging for your beds, you'll surely spend
more than someone who just works up a plot of ground. But you might
be ahead in the long run, if you never have to buy/rent a tiller.

--
Aaron