Old 06-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Timber

Default For the record (slugs)

Hmmm, would a saucer of no doze work in this case? I mean you can purchase
the pills for less than a can of coffee and dissolve it into the saucer.

I guess I am lucky as I have never had a slug problem. Every once in a
while I find them but not often. Perhaps this is because I placed a bunch
of frogs in my pond and they are eating them Maybe it's the ducks---I don't
know. What ever the case, I would be interested in knowing if a straight
caffeine pill would work dissolved. I know that the local NO SO HEALTHY
Health store carries caffeine pills in varying mg's and it shouldn't take a
rocket scientist to figure out the proper water ml's to mg's to get to 2%.
(Trying to find middle school algebra book as I type)

Could you take the dissolved mixture and spray it on the visible buggers so
you don't have to worry about other critters? But then I guess if you are
doing that it would be just as simple to squish them.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

"Bill" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:31:07 +0000, DH wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news
The Univ. of Hawaii research was focused (IIRC) on the effect of the
caffeine on amphibians (frogs, to be precise) and the death of the

slugs
was something noticed in passing.

Which begs the question, what is the effect on frogs? I have a few

little
musical guys living in my back yard and would hate to harm them.

I don't know. U of H was using a much higher concentration of caffeine

than
the grounds idea. Perhaps you could try them in just a small area of the
garden and see if the frogs avoid it. Don't frogs eat slugs?

I have never had frogs come live here and, with a neighborhood over-run
with cats, likely never will. Thus, I don't know what effect this might
have on them.