Old 02-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Waaayy too many mosquito fish!

Don't net them. Try a 2 litre bottle with food in it. Cut a 2" hole in the
side for circulation and put a mesh bag around it. The fish will swim in by
the drove. No hassle. Lots of fish.

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"bobkiely" wrote in message
Hi again group!

I have a 600-700 gallon pond with 3 small koi about the size of the 6 -

4-5"
goldfish and about 200 mosquito fish. The mosquito fish multiply like
guppies and in fact look a lot like guppies. Started with 15 a year and a
half ago and now have an estimated 200.

It would take me forever to try and net them to reduce the population not

mention bothering all the plants and scaring the other fish.

My water is almost 80 degrees now so I was thinking about buying an Oscar
(smaller than the Koi and Goldfish) and see if he will thin out the

mosquito
fish population. The other alternate idea I had was to go accross the
street to the lake and get a 2-3" largemouth bass and put him in there. If
he starts getting bigger than the goldfish or Koi I could just break out

my
spinner bait, catch him and put him back in the lake.

I can see some of you now leaning back in your chair slapping yourself in
the forehead saying, "What is this guy thinking about??" *LOL* Give me the
pros and cons if you know what would happen.
Thanks,
BK