Old 06-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Timber

Default Bees in your Garden?

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a small hive because:
#1 I need help in pollination--sometimes that paint brush requires more time
than I care to spend. (Sure we get wind storms all the time, but never when
you need them!)
#2 I use bees wax for painting my eggs
#3 I LOVE HONEY and use it in so many of my beauty products
Do you have any helps or an honest place to go for a small beginners hive
kit? I like the look of the natural skep's (I think that's what they are
called) and understand these may not be a lasting or a good option. I simply
mentioned them for the asthetics as we get many visitors to our Gardens.

I have over 100 acres but just want to start with the bare minimum of hives
for a healthy colony (I don't want to take care of all the acres till I know
what I am doing. Right now my understanding of bee keeping is
bee=honey---lol) I have read many books from the library though. In the
winter months here I could easily move the hive to the barn.

I have checked around local and well, most of the bee keepers don't want you
doing it, they simply want you to lease their hives and keep all their honey
and charge you---LOL

Bee's sting, but we will never rid the world of them so accept them. True
people are allergic to them and people die from them, but the last time I
checked the air we breath near processing plants kills more people than bees
and we will never rid the world of them. How about the number of people
drunks kill? In a perfect world we would all live with no disease or
illness and never age----till that day, take the good with the bad and drive
on!

Wasps I hate, but I find placing a small shrimp into a wasp catcher works
great by day two that shrimp smells and attracts them.

I purchased one year a wasp killing kit and the buggers made their comb in
it----I left them alone and laughed the whole season every time I walked
near it.

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

"Ian" wrote in message
om...
"Removing all bees from the city will not make the city a safe place for

that allergic
person. They are still at risk from wasps and wild bees that don't know

how to read city
ordinances."

Funny thing is that 9 times out of 10 it is a wasp that has stung
someone, not a bee. Bee's usually don't sting unless they are
panniced or they are defending their colony. Bees are a social insect
instinctually flea from danger, where a wasp is an independent insect
instinctually attacking danger. I'm a beekeeper and am sick and
tiered of people always blaming bees for there sting. Wasps are the
aggressors, and if people actually payed attention, they could very
easily tell what stung them. A bee leaves her barbed stinger venom
sack, a wasp leaves only a welt b/c she has no barb. It seems the
hives that tend to bother people are the ones that aren't hidden from
sight.
Anyhow, another extremly efficient pollinating non stinging insect is
the Orchard Bee. They are very easy to keep and just about as good at
pollinating as the honey bee.