Old 02-07-2003, 05:44 AM
JNJ

Default How to get rid of Ailanthus Altissima?

My yard is infested with Ailanthus Altissima, and I want it gone. I have
been told that it's virtually impossible to kill, and it would appear to

be
so thus far. Others have recommended measures that include flamethrowers

and
bulldozers, however, not having access to either and not having a source

for
agent orange I'm casting about for advice.

Has anyone fought this insidiously and perniciously invasive plant and

won?

Sorry Amy -- it's time to move to a new home.

I've been fighting it down here by simply keeping after it and cutting it
down. On a whim I tried some RoundUp on it in an area I'm killing off the
vegetation -- it is responding believe it or not. My latest solution is
going to involve attaching something to the chopped off trunk that remains
in the ground, filling it with RoundUp, and letting it soak into the trunk
for a few days such that it will hopefully work its way into the plant.

This plant is so resilient that after cutting it into little pieces and
putting it into the garbage can I noticed that the pieces of trunk IN THE
CAN were sprouting new growth -- after 1 week the new growth was sprouting
new growth. (No soil contact mind you.) It has to be one of the most
amazing growers I have ever seen.

James