Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Mouldy bread and compost heaps.

In article ,
"shannie" writes:
| "dommy" wrote in message
| s.com...
| Thanks for the replies everyone, very kind and helpful of you all. I
| have a loaf of mouldy bread, think ill break it up and chuck it in.
|
| You could do, or you could crumble it and leave it out for the small birds,
| they'll thank you by eating any baddies in your garden too :-)

Er, no. Bread (white bread, in particular) can be harmful to
most birds, because it forms a solid lump. Also, insect eating
birds either won't eat it, or will be very likely to be harmed
by it.

Also, most birds that are not scavengers are fairly sensitive
to rotting food, and may be harmed by that. We are scavengers
(like rats) and can eat a lot of things that even other mammals
can't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.