Old 02-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Default zucchini flowers

Wrong. Male and female are different sexes not varieties.

Actually squash plants produce both unisexual male and female flowers on the
same plants but you will need to cross pollinate between two different plant
to get fruit. It doesn't need to be the same squash cultivar though.

Julia Altshuler wrote in message
You don't necessarily have to do anything to the plants, but the flowers

come in
male and female varieties so if there aren't bees to help out, one can

take a
brush, poke it in each of the flowers in turn and thereby spread the

goodies
around.

The other thing one might do to these plants is take precautions against

the
dreaded squash vine borer. For two years, it killed my plants. This year

I'm
checking daily for eggs,

What to do with lots of zucchini:
Zucchini bread.
Ratatouille.
My favorite: Zucchini fritters. (Recipe from Victory Garden Cookbook.)
Crude sex jokes.

Not at all crude zucchini joke: Two women were chatting while waiting for

their
flight in an airport. One tells the other that the New England town she

comes
from is so small that no one ever locks their car doors-- except in

summer.
"Crime must increase with the summer visitors," the other says and nods
sympathetically. "Oh no!" corrects the first. "It's just that if you

leave
your car unlocked, someone will come and fill it with zucchini!"

--Lia

P.S. It figures!

Suja wrote:
Didn't think you had to do a darn thing to these plants. My neighbor
had 3 vines growing, and dozens of zucchini, which he was nice enough to
offer to all and sundry. Unfortunately, I have a hard enough time
figuring out what to do with one, much less a dozen.

Suja
P.S. Fancy running into you here!