Old 02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
LouP

Default Lettuces UNder Fleece

Hiya, was advised by the garden centre to use the fleecxe as it will keep
down on insects as the plants are very small. Should I not use it do you
think??

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Why are you using fleece on lettuce at this time of year I wonder? I would
use a few slug pellets, there's not much I use like that but if I didn't

use
them they'd be gone, 'Just like that'

LouP wrote:
: "Ron" wrote in message
: ...
:: Lou,
::
:: Unless you have a very serious slug problem I think it best not to
:: use slug pellets. There are quite a few predators looking for slugs
:: and it would be a shame to kill them with poisoned slugs: but of
:: course,(!!) the slugs are under fleece so the predators might go to
:: your neighbour's garden! Is that good news to you?
::
:: Keep the lettuces well watered and they'll grow faster than slugs
:: can eat them and do not forget to plant a few more seeds every few
:: days.
::
:: Regards
::
:: Ron
::
:: Thanks Ron, great advice. Do you think the fleece is a good idea or
:: not??
: cheers
: louise
: