Old 02-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Please tell me what this is ... - DSCN0468Small.JPG (0/1)

Agent Friday wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:37:05 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
wrote:
You cannot attach photos to this newsgroup.

As for posting pictures in this group, is it really a problem? Anyone?

Here's what it does at the very least.
A picture takes up a lot more space & most ISPs determine how long
they leave posts on their server by how much room they take up. A
couple pictures could make all but the last couple days unavailable on
a lot of servers.

Other ISPs just kill any messages with attachments sent to text
groups. [Mindspring did when I was there-- and I know RR doesn't, but
somewhere downstream the attachment was stripped from Ellen's message]

If the ratio of pictures to text gets too high, many servers will just
drop the group altogether. That's what binary groups [or the web]
are for.

This is the group where people come with questions and answers about
gardening matters, and if a photo is useful in communicating or identifying
something, why not? It's not like Ellen posted 20 pictures of her garden
or posted it merely to show it off -- which is what I would think the
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens group is for.

-snip-

There are plenty of free websites for photos; yahoo photos--
imagestation.com is one & I know many others.

Most don't require anything more than a web browser to post photos--
and for sharing family photos their great because you just send Aunt
Sally to the site & she can order her own prints in whatever size she
wants.

The advantage for the flower ID pictures that get posted here is that
everyone can see them-- and they'll stay on your site until you take
them down-- not when some server gets full.

Jim