Old 02-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Veggie Filter size

Wilson,

Welcome to the 'getting hooked' club.

Starting at 200 is a good start. Maybe you and your wife will get hooked.

With regard to the veggie filter, think surface not gallons. 200/20 is a
gallon comparison. The general recommendation is a veggie filter of not
less than 10% of the pond surface. The goal is enough room for bacteria to
convert nitrites, for muck to settle or be filtered and for vascular plants
to out do algae by grabbing nutrients nutrients. Most of us use plants that
grow like mad and have good root systems.

Happy ponding!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Wilson" wrote in message
I just recently completed my waterfall last weekend and it's looking very
nice, it's roughly 3 1/2 feet high and flows about 6 feet into a 20 gal
basin...with a little 5 gal basin at the top.

My question is this...I can already tell that I want to add a pond right
beside it which will be fed from the 20 gal(it has an overflow spillway)

and
I want to eventually turn the 20 gallon basin into a veggie filter and use
that only, the pond will be no bigger than 150-200 gal and will include a
few(less than 10) fish and various plants....will the 20 gal basin be big
enough and what is the best plant to use? Should I get another small
filter(bottom) to go along with the VF? I saw someone's pics of their VF
the other day and it looked to be a small clover type plant....what is
that? I want to go as natural as possible with my pond.

Thanks in advance!

~Wilson~