Old 02-07-2003, 01:56 PM

Default planting fir trees in the back garden as a screen

I'm not trying to block out every cm of concrete view. If I could
block up the 2nd level of the flats and leave the 3rd I'd be happy.
Sticking a trellis up for plants to grow is the same as having the
evergreens. I'm just trying to improve the feel of my backgarden a
bit. I don't mind the maintenance, I'd get a gardener to come twice a
year or so to keep it in order. Does anyone know how big I vcould buy
some young fir trees, growing them from 2 feet tall would take some
time. How much concrete would I have to dig up / how big would the
root bakll be? I dont mind loosing a bit of space if I gain a bit of
privacy.
Thanks

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:15:39 +0100, "mick"
wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , mick
writes
wrote in message

He's already explained the situation. Screening off 3-storey flats, no
shadow cast over the building. Just because some hedges cause problems
doesn't mean to say all hedges in all situations do!

Only a three storey block? Most old Victorian houses would be that high.
Fifteen feet is still a lot - and a lot of mainainance as I explained in the
large chunk you selectively snipped.

A 15ft fence isn't going to be much better.

Nothing will screen the top floors of this block effectively unless it is
near to his own house , in which case it may only need to be four feet high
for the same effect.
A fence will certainly pose less of a maintainance problem.

And whatever you may feel about a 15ft hedge, a three storey block of
flats complete with people overlooking your house and garden is a lot
worse!

If you dont like being overlooked then dont live in a town is the simple
answer .
Being overlooked is part of urban life - Ive been there.

Sorry, just giving you a reality check on that one.