Old 02-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Frogleg

Default cilantro flowers - prune?

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:51:11 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

I have seen some messages on this newsgroup that suggest removing the
flowers from herbs to keep them producing during the summer. Should I do
this with my cilantro, which is now covered with tiny white flowers? I plan
to harvest small amounts of it all summer.

Basil needs to be restrained from flowering early to promote leaf
growth. By the time cilantro (or dill) flowers, it's pretty much
done. Pruning the flower stalks will do very little to promote leaf
growth. Cilantro bolts (goes to seed) quite quickly in summer heat.
For a continuous supply, direct sow seeds frequently. There *are*
"slow-bolting" varieties, but I haven't noticed a much extended
lifetime from those. In a cooler climate, it might make a difference.
Best to let cilantro flower and make seeds you can use for later
planting (or in recipes calling for coriander).