Old 06-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Bees in your Garden?

Timber wrote:

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a small hive because:
[several good reasons]

... I like the look of the natural skep's (I think that's what they are
called) and understand these may not be a lasting or a good option. I simply
mentioned them for the asthetics as we get many visitors to our Gardens.

As far as I know, the skep style of beehive is "illegal", because you
can't inspect the hive for disease. If you buy a used beehive make sure
it has been sterilized. You may get comments from other beekeepers if
you use them.

I ...just want to start with the bare minimum of hives
for a healthy colony... In the
winter months here I could easily move the hive to the barn...

A beehive with sufficient honey can last through the winter outside
although it generally helps to provide some insulation since their heat
(around 90F in the hive) is generated by burning honey (metabolically).
They do need some reasonably warm days to fly outside to eliminate
waste.

I have checked around local and well, most of the bee keepers don't want you
doing it, they simply want you to lease their hives and keep all their honey
and charge you---LOL

Keep looking. You must have been talking to just the commercial
beekeepers. Many areas have beekeeper associations that include
amateurs. Check with your local extension service.

links from my bookmarks:

Univ. Florida Newsletter: http://apis.ifas.ufl.edu/

http://www.pollinator.com/ A site with information, links, and
advertising. You might be able to find used equipment here and/or buy
bees. (Bees can be sent through the mail).

Bees sting, but we will never rid the world of them so accept them...

Hey, without them we wouldn't be here. Their pollination is essential to
many crops. We should do much more than just put up with them. Encourage
them in every possible way.

http://www.pollinator.com/theysting.htm

Good luck