Old 02-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Frogleg

Default First time herb garden

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:13:24 -0500, "loki"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

I agree that 2nd year parsley is of limited utility for culinary
purposes (how did I get to sound like an encyclopaedia?) However,
since it over-winters in many climates, it's at least worth leaving in
the ground 'til springl. I *try* to start new plants each year, and
letting the older ones go to seed makes it a fairly automatic process.

Well, this year I'm gardening in Louisiana for the first time and I'll
try this there. It never worked for me in St. Louis for whatever
reason.

I do live in a milder climate than St. Louis. My first year here, I
treasured a smallish parsley plant outside my back door. Even though
it grew little (if at all), I had fresh, green leaves for
cooking/garnish. I'm sure it'll over-"winter" in Louisiana.

I don't understand "seriously nasty". I have happily brought in
parsley springs from snow-covered plants in January. It's a lot easier
to "preserve" them on the plant than to "cut back" and "harvest" in
the fall. YMMV.

Seriously nasty here means ice storms. Little survives those unless
it's woody and strong.

I misread. I thought you meant the *parsley* got nasty. :-) Well,
you're going to have a lot of new gardening experiences. Good luck.