Old 02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Veggie Filter size

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .
Wilson,

Welcome to the 'getting hooked' club.

Starting at 200 is a good start. Maybe you and your wife will get hooked.

With regard to the veggie filter, think surface not gallons. 200/20 is a
gallon comparison. The general recommendation is a veggie filter of not
less than 10% of the pond surface. The goal is enough room for bacteria

convert nitrites, for muck to settle or be filtered and for vascular

plants
to out do algae by grabbing nutrients nutrients. Most of us use plants

that
grow like mad and have good root systems.

I am finding the Water Hyacinth to be my best filter so far. The anacharis
seems like a strong contender as do the Water Iris. I think the celery and
parrot's feather will form a close send soon.

BV.