Old 02-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default How to Keep Shasta Daisy Short?

From: (Jay Chan)
Date: Wed, Jul 2, 2003 1:23 PM
I went home yesterday, and cut off three shasta daisy as what I had
planned. Now, I just have to wait and see what will happen.

Although I haven't grown it myself, you could try 'Snow Lady,' which is

popular classic. It grows to perhaps a foot tall, as does 'Silver

Princess.'

'Snowcap' is perhaps slightly taller. These would all be easy to manage

and
look good in a small garden bed. There are probably quite a few more.

Try a
search online for some good pix and ideas.

I find a seeds-pack of the "dwarf" version of the shasta daisy. This
version is supposed to grow up to 1-ft or so. I will try growing some,
and see how they do next year.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay Chan

Great! I was going to suggest that you try growing some from seed, because I
grow lots of different ones that way. Very satisfying, because they germinate
and grow quickly, and you'll have blooming plants next summer if you plant the
seeds NOW. Start them now in pots in a sunny spot and transplant them to the
garden (anywhere you have room and good growing conditions) when they're big
enough to handle. Give them some protection for the winter (a good mulch) and
you'll be able to move them in the spring to wherever you want them to
be.....they're easy to transplant. You'll have more than you need, most
likely, so plan on gifting some lucky folks.

A slight warning, though....some varieties don't come true from seed, and you
may not get exactly the plant that's pictured on the seed packet, but it'll be
nice anyway. However, if it says they'll be dwarf plants, that should be the
case.

A few years ago, I planted a packet labelled simply "Shasta Daisy" and I got at
least three very different varieties, all beautiful and prolific. I've started
more from hand-me-down seeds this year. (I haven't identified any of them by
name at this point.) The only known named variety I grow is 'Becky'....a
terrific plant but too large for your needs.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7