Old 02-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Tomatoes not ripening

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:14:16 -0700, (Glenna
Rose) wrote:

LOL, Pat. Yes I know, but to be completely honest with our fellow
gardeners, we must refer to those raised in the garden, at least from
plants.

Aw. Picky, picky! g

I am so pleased because I found some almost ripe tomatoes this
morning . . . love those Stupice tomatoes!

I'm definitely going to try Stupice next year. I have Early
Girls this year: lots of little green tomatoes, but nowhere
near 'almost ripe'. I'm also growing Better Boy and Sweet
Million this year.

This morning's tour uncovered
a small cucumber and the baby cantaloupe that has grown to a 3-inch
diameter (well, maybe only 2-1/2 inches), and several small peppers.
Looks like summer is on its way. :-)

We have a small pepper, and a small yellow summer squash.

Our cukes are still languishing in their 6-packs (I hurt my
back several weeks ago, and haven't been able to even walk
out to the garden since then). DH is keeping it going as
best he can...but it's not the same, plus he has his hands
double-full doing what I usually do in the house, etc.

I am disappointed, however, at how slow my Sun Golds are advancing, but
maybe my memory is not as accurate as I'd like. Lots of green tomatoes
but none with color yet.

My morning glory plant on the front porch has its first
blossom! Day lilies are blooming, also the petunias (in
flower boxes on the porch) are thriving.

On the edible side, so far, we've harvested lots of lettuce,
Swiss chard, various herbs (notably basil). I had various
Chinese greens (bok choy, choy sum, komatsuna) earlier in
the year (and will have them again in fall).

We just harvested a head of fluffy-top Chinese cabbage and
some Vitaminna (another Asian green) and some mizuna. Beets
are almost ready to pull and enjoy.

Basically, our garden is shot to h*ll, because of a
double-whammy: first we had monsoons all spring, then I
hurt my back. Nevertheless, we're still having some good
stuff and my back is slowly improving, so I think I'll be
able to plant and tend a fall garden. Sure hope so.

Pat