Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Default Liquid fertilizer

Yes, that's true. The reason some people can is because when they add the
fert to their water they have enough trace and macro nuterients in the water
to enable the plants to use the phosphate before algae can take hold.
However if you don't have this situation (i.e. you have no iron in your
water) the plants will not be able to use the phosphate but algae will and
therefore it'll gain hold.

Sam

"MattR" wrote in message
This is something I want to understand. Some people can add fertilizer
straight into the water, or grow water lillies bare root, and their
water is crystal clear. There's something else going on besides
fertilizer bad, shade good.

Nedra wrote:
I poured 3 big bottles into the lotus pond early on with
no adverse affect.

Nedra

"Sam Hopkins" wrote in message
.. .

Dont do it you'll get algae. Adding liquid fert will only add fert to

the
water column which is where algae gets it from. That plus it's high in
phosphates which is what algae utilizes much more so than plants.

Sam

"Tbumpy" wrote in message

Has anyone used this type of fertilizer for their pond plants? I was

wondering

how well it works and if anyone recommends a certain type. My pond is

large

(3500 gallons) and has quite a few plants so this would be easier for

us

to use

than the plant tabs.