Old 02-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Unique Too

Default Tiny Bugs that look like snowy fuzz?

saki writes:

is there perhaps a granular systemic that can
be used alone, without fertilizer, reasonably effectively, or is the
liquid route the only solution, so to speak?

IIRC, there are two problems with granular systemic pesticides. One is that
the pesticide does much more damage to the enviroinment when applied to the
soil than as a spray. There is a greater chance of runoff into the water souce
and at a higher concentration. And it's deadly to the living things in the
soil, i.e. earthworms. Second, plants are not able to take up enough of the
ingredient to be truly effective.

I bought a container of that stuff at the same time I bought my first roses.
It's still sitting in the shed. Next time we make a run to the dump I need to
drop it off at the toxic waste station. I don't expect I'll ever use it again.

Julie