Old 02-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Dave Liquorice

Default Fence Posts

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:09:12 GMT, Anne Wheeldon wrote:

I believe the problem isn't actually underground but at the point
where soil, post, air and the elements meet.

Yep. A fairly narrow band where the oxygen and moisture levels are
just right for the rot to live. Up in the air it gets to dry down in
the ground it's to wet and/or lacking in oxygen.

If you bed the posts in cement (or maybe concrete ..

Concrete. Cement is the binding agent in concrete made of sharp sand
and small stones.

build up a collar round the post sloping out towards the soil down
the post the rainwater runs off the wood = it doesn't rot.

Makes them a beggar to replace when they do rot though you have this
1cwt block of concrete buried in the ground. Personally I'd got for
proper pressure treated timber and (when you could still get it) a
good soaking in creosote. ie stand the post end in a container such
that it is submerged in creosote to above the proposed ground level.
The rest of the post just gets a generous brush coating.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.