Old 02-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Shireen Gonzaga

Default [IBC] Wiring for literati

In article 000b01c340d7$8e374900$0a0110ac@andy, (Andy Rutledge) writes:
Hi Shireen,

Could be just as you guess, or it may be that she uses clip-and-grow for the
severe branch direction changes. Or, she may simply be skilled at bending
woody branches (you didn't mention the species). Probably a combination of
all 3.

Most of the bonsai on sale are for indoors. I've seen
this done on F. benjamina kiki, S. foetida, and F. retusa
(banyan). There are others too but I forget the names.

Wouldn't clip-and-grow give the branch a jagged appearance?
The branch/trunk curves on her bonsai look pretty smooth.

If she made the curves by bending in increments over a long
period of time, or by bending a young pliable branch, it
must have taken a long time to get that marvelous result.
Wow! Bonsai is about being patient, something I'm not very
good at.... :-)

cheers,
shireen

--
Shireen Gonzaga, Data Analyst, Space Telescope Science Inst. O-
3700 San Martin Dr., Baltimore, MD 21212, USA. _/ )