Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Howlis

Default Fence Posts

My old dad who was a builder all his life always said wood and concrete
don't mix. One method you could try is burning the end of the post, have you
ever noticed how burnt wood never seems to rot.

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
level? My understanding is that keeping them out of contact with the
soil helps considerably (i.e. by setting them in concrete), but would
wrapping the bases in polythene make things better or worse (allowing
for some drainage at the base to let water out)?

--
Chris