Old 03-07-2003, 01:10 AM
bobkiely

Default Waaayy too many mosquito fish!

Yes, I had a bullfrog (remember the story I wrote about "Frankenfrog" when
he ate one of my goldfish?) but he never bothered the mosquito fish and now
he's been missing for 5-6 weeks (see other story - "Coon hunting
invitation"). I'm going to try the bottle trap first and see what that does.
I'd try the chemical treatment but I hate putting things in the water I
don't have first-hand experience witt. Plus it'll be a chore trying to catch
the koi and goldfish.
BK
"Wendy Kelly Budd" wrote in message
Oh Bonnie, I wish that were the case here. I have several bullfrogs &

many
tadpoles. Mind you, I have a hard time telling the difference between
bullfrogs & greenfrogs. I have the photos, but it's no use with me, I

can't
tell the difference.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor
Roosevelt

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
I put in 5 mosquito fish 4 summers ago. Now I have a million. They

are
smart. I have tried several ways to catch them. All work for 4-5

days.
I've done commercial minnow traps, homemade nets that are baited, the
inverted bottle. I even resorted to putting a net on the end of a

pole
and
scooping them out. I catch about 11 on each pass. Reduces the

population
for a day and makes me feel better.

If you find ANY thing that will eat them, get a patent.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

Bullfrogs do a good job of keeping them in check in
my pond :-)

--
Bonnie
NJ