Old 03-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Oz

Default RR Wheat - but who wants it? (was GM German Wheat Trials...)

Dean Ronn ?@?.? writes
I've had a lot of opportunity to agree to disagree with Torsten
through a few thoughts on this newsgroup, but this is one topic that I agree
with him whole heartedly. In a true no-till system, like Larry had mentioned
earlier, it's good practice to do a pre-seed "burnoff" before seeding wheat
with glyphosate to control some winter annuals, then control pretty much any
other weeds that come in crop with a product such as
Puma(fenoxaprop-p-ethyl), or Discover(in U.S.A.) clodinafop propargyl, in
conjuction with a broadleaf killing product. (ex. Refine Extra-
Thifensulfuron methyl + Tribenuran methyl). There really is no need for
Round-Up ready wheat. Like I had stated earlier in this thread, with a crop
such as canola, there are so many limitations to weed control, and that is
why it has really taken off here in Saskatchewan(Canada). IMO, if it's not
broken, and you can't improve it, why do it????

Interesting.

In the UK in arable areas canola is the easy one. A spray of dimfop to
control cereals and some trifluralin to dampen down blw is all I use for
nearly all fields (some sometimes need some dow shield for thistles).

But cereals are a big problem, primarily due to resistant and tolerant
blackgrass but increasingly to dimfop resistant wild oats. This is
particularly acute in high organic fields (say 10%+).

RR wheat would be quite nice were it not for the fact that I would
expect the rapid emergence of RR-resistant blackgrass.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.