Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Black Swallowtail Butterflys?

Butterflies only frequent certain host and larval plants and hardly
nothing else. Many plants host a particular type of butterfly.

Regarding your black swallowtail -
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.u...s/picture3.htm
and the main index page for the whole site is
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/

DigitalVinyl wrote:
=

The other day I spotted a mostly black butterfly in the garden. I was
surprised to find it very attracted to some of my parsley. After some
research I ID'd as a female Black Swallowtail. SHe was laying eggs,
which I can spot in between the curly leaves.
=

Now I have more parsley growing than I can use So i would have no
problem letting the ones on this plant grow--but am I inviting a
voracious catepillar into the garden by doing this? I'm sure they
would probably eat far more than that one bush of parsley.
=

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

-- =