Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Dave Fouchey

Default Black Swallowtail Butterflys?

Let me second this advice with some anecdotal follow up. Most
Swallowtails I have noticed seem to prefer Umbilifers such as Parsley
or Fennel. I have a large stand of Bronze Fennel which I keep around
as much as a host plant for Swallowtails as I do for cooking, with
nary a problem with the other plants in the garden.

so enjoy the Swallowtails.

Dave

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:39:33 -0500, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Butterflies only frequent certain host and larval plants and hardly
nothing else. Many plants host a particular type of butterfly.

Regarding your black swallowtail -
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.u...s/picture3.htm
and the main index page for the whole site is
http://www.whatsthiscaterpillar.co.uk/

DigitalVinyl wrote:

The other day I spotted a mostly black butterfly in the garden. I was
surprised to find it very attracted to some of my parsley. After some
research I ID'd as a female Black Swallowtail. SHe was laying eggs,
which I can spot in between the curly leaves.

Now I have more parsley growing than I can use So i would have no
problem letting the ones on this plant grow--but am I inviting a
voracious catepillar into the garden by doing this? I'm sure they
would probably eat far more than that one bush of parsley.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey