Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Peter Ward

Default Calling all Permaculture Designers: Opportunity to create the world's first totally 'Permaculturall

Greetings all: I need some advice & assistance from the world
Permacultural Community.

I'm currently negotiating with the Mayor of Pitcairn Island - Steve
Christian - to transform Pitcairn Island (my ancestral homeland) into
the world's first totally 'permaculturally-designed' Island.

Pitcairn is still a British Colony, but the UK basically wants to shut
the Island down (ie. the colony is "not economically viable") & sell
the Pitcairn Islands (Pitcairn, Henderson, Oeno, Ducie) along with
their accompanying 200 nm. exclusive economic zones to the French*
(presumably so that the latter can test nuclear devices on a volcanic
Island rather than an atoll).

One possible way to save the Island & it's unique heritage, would be
to transform it into the only 'holistic-permaculture-nation-state' on
the Planet; not only to make it completely independent of the British
Exchequer, but also to lay the foundations for a limited ecotourism
industry which could possibly enable the Island to become totally
self-sufficient at a relatively comfortable standard of living.

Steve Christian is warm on the idea, but - being one of the most
remote places on earth - "Permaculture", is a complete unknown to the
Island community.

So, what I need is some advice on the best way to introduce the key
principles & concepts of Permaculture to the Pitcairn Islander
community.

All & any advice or suggestions on moving this Project (tentatively
titled 'Biosphere3') forward, will be graciously appreciated.

For those unfamiliar with Pitcairn, the following site provides useful
links:
http://www.escapeartist.com/pitcairn/pitcairn.htm

* there are substantial deposits of manganese, iron, copper, gold,
silver, and zinc, which have recently been discovered within the 200
nautical-mile exclusive economic zone surrounding the Pitcairn Islands
(Pitcairn, Henderson, Oeno, Ducie).

cf: 'Convention on Maritime Boundaries between the Government of the
French Republic and the Government of the United Kingdom of Great
Britain and Northern Ireland'

http://www.un.org/Depts/los/LEGISLAT...-GBR1983MB.PDF