Old 03-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Belle Thomas

Default African violet "white dots"

jammer wrote in message . ..
On 30 Jun 2003 15:12:29 -0700, (Belle Thomas)
wrote:

I have a good-looking, blooming African violet which has suddenly come
up with little white dots, a few on some leaves, but mostly down some
stems and at the main stem. I lost a couple of leaves, but not an
unusual amount for a plant this big (about 9"diameter).

Can anyone tell me:

What it is?

is it not a "good thing"? g
and

how to get rid of it/prevent it if it's harmful to the plants or me?

I don't have the problem on any of the other violets. And, I have a
*bunch* of 'em. This one is on one side of the kitchen sink...I have
two other smaller/younger ones on the other side of the sink and they
have no spots. All of them are watered/fed from the bottom.

Puzzled...
Belle

But could it have gotten sprayed?

Don't think it got sprayed...besides the white "dots" are like very
small beads. Couldn't have gotten sprayed that far down into the
plant, along the main stem. sigh It's still blooming cheerfully.
Think I'll look into the mealybug or thrips...thrips are a new one on
me, but then so is the enjoyment of the violets. I'll check out the
research and suggested sites. Sounds a little like "African violets
for Dummies" (politely put, of course! g) which is just what I need!
Thanks to each of y'all.
Belle