Old 03-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Horse manure in a pit question

writes:
I planted asparagus in mine, after putting about 2 inches of dirt on top
of
the manure. Then as the asparagus started growing, I kept adding dirt
until
I had about 6 inches on top of the asparagus roots. Boy is it good
eating.
You are going to get stuff growing from the manure unless you cover it for
awhile to keep it from getting sunlight..

Dwayne

I bet you have some super stuff there! I read that asparagus should be
bedded for winter with aged horse manure and try to remember to do that.
I'm hoping for good harvestable (more than a couple of spears) this next
spring. :-)

writes:
Dear Glenna and Henriette,
Thanks for your prompt and useful information. As my garden evolves, I'll
use the aged manure more and more. Wish I could send you some potatoes-
they're going to be impressive...
Dick Lovering

I wish you could also! Wouldn't it be great if we could all get together
one weekend and share our most favorite product of the year?!

Glenna