Old 03-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Ron

Default Fly paper,

Nick Maclaren saud

Snip . . . . the results were enough to debunk the theory that ants are
always the primary cause of aphid infestations

Snip

I did not say "always" but once is once too often.

Snip

I can fully believe that there is SOME effect, but all of the
information I have is that it is negligible compared with other
factors

"SOME" ? nuf said there!

Nobody that I know of has EVER carried out a test of causality,
so there is no definite statistical proof whether killing ants
has any effect on aphid infestations or not. All my experiments
indicate is that the claims of a strong and near-universal link
are bogus.

It is indicative that even the pesticide manufacturers do not
provide anything for killing ants in commercial crops - this
indicates to me that few scientists believe that this is significant
effect.

They are not in business to make insecticide to help people, they're in
business to make money.

Ron