Old 03-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Fence Posts

In article ,
Gary Woods writes:
| Chris Hogg wrote:
|
| What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
| level?
|
| You could also use wood which is naturally rot resistant. Mature locust is
| legendary; old farmer's joke:
|
| How do you know when a locust fencepost needs replacing?
| Well, you put a small rock on top of the post when you set it.
| When the rock rots away, you should think about another post.
|
| Now you're going to tell me it doesn't grow over there and this is a waste
| of electrons? Grows like a weed in some areas here; nasty thorny stuff,
| and hard enough that you need to have your chain saw file at hand while
| cutting it...

Robinia pseudoacacia? Yes, it is semi-naturalised here. But it
doesn't last all that well - our conditions are a LOT tougher
than yours in this respect. Also, the wood is probably rather
softer, because of our miserable summers.

The only wood that I know of that grows in the UK that is seriously
resistant to rot at the soil boundary is yew, and then only the
heartwood. Oak, locust, hawthorn etc. heartwood and yew sapwood
have some resistance, but only a few year's worth at 3" diameter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.