Old 03-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default What is eating so many of my plants - and a tree?

In article , Andy p.panter@
REMOVESPAMTRAP.ntlworld.com writes
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:44:54 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Hi

I think I either have a plague of one thing or lots of different things
*suddenly* eating my plants' leaves and flowers!

The most worrying to me is my young rowan tree which we planted earlier
this year. It has done OK and put some branches out and good leaves,
it's over 6ft high, but in the last few days they are covered with small
holes which are brown-edged and from a distance the leaves don't look
green any more and some are like lace. I can't find the pest that's
doing it but it's had a go at almost every leaf.

Caterpillars? I've got shrub which had the same symptoms for two
years running. I sprayed it with a systemic insecticide and pruned
most of the damaged stuff out and now it's fine.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Hi

I didn't spot any caterpillars and I can't really prune a young tree as
they are the only leaves it's got and it would be left looking like a
tall stick in the ground! I'm wondering if it might be some tiny
weevils that I think came in with some plants I bought last week. I've
been stamping on them when I see them now as initially I didn't think
they would do anything. They are very small and I think I've identified
them (see another thread re weevils). I didn't think they would be
eating such a wide range of plants, but a lot of the affected plants are
showing the same symptoms, of tiny holes with brown or white edges and
I've found these weevils in a position like they're sucking sap with
their snouts buried into stems. Their snouts are so tiny that they
could make these holes I suppose. All I can think of to do is to kill
them when I find them, I can't go spraying every plant in the garden...

Lynda