Old 03-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Beginner garden, Zone 8a, need tips

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:48:21 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

Aaron Baugher wrote:

Raised beds might not be the most 'frugal' way to go, but I'll let
others with experience at that chime in here. If you have to purchase
soil and lumber or other edging for your beds, you'll surely spend
more than someone who just works up a plot of ground. But you might
be ahead in the long run, if you never have to buy/rent a tiller.

Consider used lumber such as that reclaimed from old pallets. Just avoid the
ones soaked in oils or with obvious chemical spills. A 42x48 pallet will
yield 3 2x4's of a decent length.Often the lumber in a pallet is hardwood
and that is a plus.

I'm sure others will have additional tips.

We don't have a source of free pallets, and couldn't afford
to buy enough lumber or cement blocks.

We're using old tires (free!) for raised beds. So far,
we're very happy with it, it is working very well for us.

Examples can be seen at:

http://www.tirecrafting.com/03garden...gardengrow.htm

Pat