Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Head Theory 101

Thanks Greg...and no, I didn't get the message. We had some problems with
our mail servers the past few days, so I think I missed it.

BV.

"Gregory Young" wrote in message
et...
Hi BV:
Most plumbers will tell you to go just one size larger in diameter (ie 2
inches in this case)
When you use piping much larger in size than your pump's designed outflow
diameter, you get turbulent flow which, negates some of the benefits from
reduced friction
If you use a pipe that's too small, and you wind up with flow greater than
8cfm (pvc pipes here), you increase resistance significantly, and

therefore
the head. Flows greater than 8cfm can cause premature failure of pvc. The
number may vary with different materials.
BTW, I tried sending you an email, removing the myfrontallobe piece, but
never got a reply. Did you get it?
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"BenignVanilla" m wrote

in
message ...
I have a pump.
I want to pump water from my pond in the back yard to my front yard.
From back to front, my yard rises, I would guess, about 3 feet.
My pump output is 1.5'' (I think.)

Would the pump work best if I used 1.5'' piping for the run or something
larger like 3 inch?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: